May 19, 2018
A Weekend at Town Corners Lake State Forest Campground
It is well known by now that Steve and I love staying in Pigeon River State Forest (Pigeon River: There’s No Place Like Home). The wildlife is abundant and unique, and the scenic views are beautiful. Unlike our past visits to Pigeon River, this trip we decided to hang our hammocks in one of the established campgrounds; Town Corners Lake State Forest Campground.
Situated on Town Corner Lake, the campground has 12 sites available for first come, first serve. These sites are great for tents and small trailers, and most of them provide a good view of the lake. In addition to the lake, this campground is also located close to the Black River.
Wildlife was plentiful during our stay. We heard and saw dozens of different bird species, including:
- Varieties of woodpeckers
- Red Wing Black Birds
- Barred Owls
- A juvenile Bald Eagle
Other wildlife encounters included dozens of deer, 6 elk, turtles (including a Blanding’s Turtle), and a Garter Snake.
Amenities & Cost
Town Corner Lake Campground includes vault toilets, garbage disposal, and claims to have potable water from a well hand pump. We were unable to locate the hand pump. Cost to per night is $15 plus a Michigan recreational passport is required.
- Head East on M-32/Main Street through Downtown Gaylord
- Just past the Otsego Club & Resort, turn left onto F-44/Wilkinson Road
- About 3.5 miles, Wilkinson Road curves. Go straight onto Marquardt Road
- Continue for 1 mile then turn right onto F-44/Sparr Road
- After about 8 miles, Sparr Road turns into Tin Shanty Road. Continue on Tiny Shanty.
- Stay right at the fork (roughly 2 miles after turning onto Tin Shanty Road) and continue for another 4.3 miles
- Turn right onto Chandler Dam Road
- About 3 miles later, turn right into Town Corner Lake Campground. There will be a brown sign at the entrance.
About 23.1 miles from Gaylord, 48 minutes.